Monday, July 6, 2009

The Last Supper

Well, I'm writing now to calm my nerves somewhat. It's the night before my knee operation and I admit I am now anxious about it. The knee has felt close to 100% much of the last six weeks, but just every now and then I feel a twinge or something shift and I know it's not entirely reliable. It's just hard to shift the feeling that I'm going into hospital with a pretty good knee and may or may not come out with the same feeling. Hard to believe that this time tomorrow (in fact by lunch time tomorrow) it will be all over. Thank goodness I haven't had to wait six months or more for the op, even though I think I've done a pretty good job of putting it out of my mind in recent times.
I am scared of the unknown - I've had operations under general anaesthetic before, but not since 1984 when I got my wisdom teeth out. I shouldn't be too worried about needles, because I've had them before enough times. I kind of just don't want to know all the details of what's going to happen in the operation, which I suppose is going to be a problem because I'm sure the nurses, surgeon and anaesthetist will feel obliged to tell me (or are legally obliged to tell me!)
Can't eat or drink anything after midnight tonight, even water, although I am allowed to shower tomorrow morning which is a good idea.
Had a nice dinner with Greg & Ingrid last night at the Caravanserai restaurant at West End - pretty busy for a Sunday night but great food, very good service and only $35 per head for the simplest banquet (with $2.50 each corkage). I couldn't remember much about the food we ate in Turkey when I was there in '99, but I would guess this was authentic. I am very confident that Al and I will be going again - a great find, with brownie points to me for picking it, if I may say so immodestly.
Kids and Al were out a lot today playing and shopping so I have advanced further in my lesson prep, but there's still a fair amount to do. I fear I am going to have to abandon most if not all of the big home projects we had planned for this Winter break, e.g. sanding and repainting the deck. I just don't think it's going to happen. Still, I shall try hard to do the school stuff fast and see what my knee allows me to do this week.
Liking DJ Ironik's take on Tiny Dancer atm. Missing my old penpal Adam too. Time to be helpful elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment