Friday, July 17, 2009

Footy and chess

Playing some interesting Chess games on chessmaniac tonight. Trying to get into games for my Team, the Chess Fiends (a strange name but not the strangest on the site). I'm OK at longer Chess games but absolutely useless at anything of 15 mins and under, I've decided - I must need time to think!
Broncos lost to Rabbitohs tonight - first time Souths have won at Suncorp since 1990! Only one person at work tipped it, and it wasn't me. Not a great year for tipping. Watching Titans play Bulldogs now and looks like I'm going to be 2 losses down for the weekend - great (not).
Yr 10 multimedia spectacular lesson on Church history and Martin Luther went really well, I thought. Ran out of time in the end, but not badly.
Also enjoyed watching rest of the Gallipoli movie with Yr 11. It's been quite a while since I've seen the whole thing. I don't think I'd noticed before that David Williamson, the screenwriter, gets a cameo as a lanky Victorian soldier playing in a scratch AFL game against the Western Australians. Most kids had seen the film before but I think were still shocked with the final moments. Amazing film, definitely one of Australia's best ever.
Another good film on TV right now is Insomnia which I'm pretty sure I saw at the cinema many years ago. What a cast: Pacino, Robin Williams and Hilary Swank - wow! Can't remember much about the plot but Williams comes across as a formidable match for Pacino both in terms of their characters and as actors (imho).
Really need to have some time with Al to have a serious planning discussion about her 40th this year. She wants something special and by golly, she's going to get it. I think she wanted to be surprised at one stage, but I always think that's a bit risky. Think of that great scene in the surprisingly good In Good Company where Dennis Quaid walks into the 'surprise' party he knows is happening, wearing just his underwear - and proceeds to flash his butt at the guests - great stuff!
I'm thinking dinner at a small restaurant followed by hiring a whole cinema at the Blue Moon at Rosalie for watching something with friends and then going around the corner to one of the numerous cafes at Rosalie afterwards. Then we fly to Melbourne for a day or so. That's my plan anyway, but I'm happy to discuss it. My 'secret' present (or one of them) could be getting Al's uni graduation pictures finally printed, and her degree framed. I'm sure she'd also like some more Pandora jewellery for her bracelet, but maybe that should wait for Christmas... not sure.
Anyway, it's pretty bizarre that we haven't had much chance to have such a discussion recently - too busy and then we fall asleep in front of TV.
Must have a good sleep tonight and let all parts of my body do some healing! Throat still not great. Last steristrips came off knee today, which looks and feels fine to my way of thinking. Keep forgetting to do my 50-100 daily straight leg lifts, but I guess I could do them now. Looking forward to Saturday morning as always, especially with a late soccer game for Dec. Night night.

No comments:

Post a Comment