Thursday, June 25, 2009

Mad People

Came home from lecture at Church given by Michael Northcott, Professor at Edinburgh Uni and Anglican priest. All about Global warming / climate change / Gaia hypothesis. I've been very interested in Gaia for a while now and would have liked more. His theme was basically that if we hurt the Earth, the Earth is going to hurt us back - seems intuitively right to me. Had a chat to the Masons afterwards - Richard said the Archbishop mentioned me (and Paul B) at Synod in relation to the Talents Quest which is pretty cool. [Must write that ASTQ experience up in these pages before I forget it all.] Mentioned my classic RAVE question to the Mason clan: why did God create dinosaurs only to have them destroyed? Tough one! Also discussed 2001: A Space Odyssey etc - will humans all perish in 6 billion years' time? The sort of question which keeps me awake at night and on my theistic toes, that's for sure. Happy to hear some ideas on that, folks...

Came home and watched Mad Men with Al. It's compelling viewing - I think I may have missed the very first episode but I've been glued to it since - could be necessary to get it out on DVD and watch in one big hit. Alternately hilarious and appalling in terms of chauvinism and smoking in particular. Tonight had a lot to do with things vibrating. Did they really have those back in the early 60s?

Good night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment