Sunday, June 28, 2009

Atheism and other strange pursuits

Hi ho everybody,
Quick funny moment: leaving Repco I'pilly yesterday after buying new hubcaps for Al's car - forgot it's a one-way street at the bottom of their driveway and turned left... only to be immediately met by a POLICE CAR who honked at me, flashed lights and then waited, holding up traffic while I did a quick 3-point turn and left rapidly (on the 50km speed limit) down the street. Embarrassing!
Anyway, a strange but I think productive day today. Woke up at 8.30am, the latest for a long time. Got dressed to race to Church but then decided against it, planning to go at 5.30pm. We had a long day at Seaworld most of yesterday with our neighbours Tom, Joanna and the boys so we were all pretty zapped. More filing then off to Field Committee meeting for Scott at Richard and Dell's - all good there. Home to stick glass doors on new bookshelves downstairs -not 100% happy with my handiwork, but they are good enough and by golly it's good to get all the books off the floor where they've been sittting for months.
Just finished reading "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom. Didn't like it as much as "Tuesdays with Morrie." It depressed me in some ways and hurt my faith a little - I was thinking, "Well, here's Mitch's view of the afterlife - what makes me think the Church has any better idea of what's going to happen?" At least his picture was nicer than some.
Now reading "Breath" by Tim Winton, finally out in paperback and thus affordable. Loved the opening chapter when I read it ages ago in a shop or a library.. actually I think it was someone's place, maybe Kates and Damian's? It's going well, anyway.
It's 2 mins to midnight and I think I may have to ban myself from midnight rants etc - can't be good.
Just worked on Yr 10 RAVE plan for this term - needs to be something like Anglicanism 101 - more about that later. I went looking on youtube for something on Elizabeth 1 and/or the Elizabethan settlement with which to dazzle the kiddies but instead found some guy called "Militant Atheist" who is, bizarrely enough, a militant atheist - another depressing clip where he has a go at creationists / fundo wackos / etc... ho hum. I suppose if I were living in a place surrounded by fundo wackos, I might start making clips like this too... but what a way to spend your life! Why not spend that time making clips which benefit people in some way, instead of just abusing people for their beliefs and sounding self-righteous? Or is that what he's responding to? Troubling stuff...
OK, beddy byes. Ciao,

No comments:

Post a Comment