Monday, August 3, 2009

Spooks

Just watched the final in this series of Spooks. What a top show it has become, after maybe a couple of dodgy years here and there. Despite the unlikely subject matter, they do a great job of convincing us these kinds of things can happen around us (espionage, bombs going off, etc.) Hope it's not long before the next series is shown (and hope that it's not long before then).
Still continuing my good run of chessmaniac games for the Chess Fiends. Thought I'd completely blown one in my grasp today against rudi111 (who turns out to be a female Canadian) but I have it back in hand now. Still, I'm going to get clobbered soon in one of the other games, so happy to have seen my rating get up to 1605 today.
Saw Kates at Mum's tonight. She was here to get her kids before heading back to Sydney tomorrow. Looks well enough to me, which is good. Cooktown festival went well for all concerned. She was on the phone to Damian at one point and returned to report that he'd made $3000 on the stockmarket today! Golly, and this is the composer and arts writer living in a tiny flat with two kids. It's a mad world.
School was good today. Strugnells gave me the 2 bookcases from Sheila Dawson yesterday and I got kids to carry them into the office today, along with numerous cases of books to the library. An awesome collection. I have adopted a couple of books from the pile yesterday, including a book on David Rowbotham by John Strugnell himself, and some Bruce Dawe books, including one called 'An Eye for A Tooth' which is inscribed, 'Dear Sheila, Thanks for suggesting the title of this book' - Bruce Dawe 1968! Now, I rate both of those as small literary treasures of which I can see worth that others may not so I'm keeping them safe and sound right here.
Was seriously considering going to the gym tomorrow (first time since knee op) but probably too late to get out my gear now - Al asleep etc, and the more sleep for me, the better at present.
More funny stories to come tomorrow, I would say. Night night from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment